Contact Us!Subscribe to Blog and RetireFollow Blogandretire on TwitterBlog and Retire on Facebook

Focus on a Small Piece of a Big Niche

blog niche focus

I’m sure you’ve read before that there’s a lot of money to be made as an online marketer. But let me tell you, whenever you read anything that starts out with wording like that – run!

Run as fast and as far as you can because the only people making money with that line are the scammers. It is true though that you can make money as an online marketer, but it takes time and it takes work. For that reason I’m going to give you some unsolicited but worthy advice.

Focus on a Small Piece of a Big Niche

There are numerous big markets that can make a marketer big money. Markets like weight loss, making money, credit cards, mortgages, etc. but these are hopelessly too difficult to tackle. That’s why smart online marketers who cut out just a small slice of these large markets can become quite successful.

Here’s a couple ways this strategy works.

Find the Money Niche

Presumably you’re an online marketer because you want to make money. Whether you’re wishing to create a moderate amount for those little extras in life or you’re planning on making enough fora full income, you’ve thought about making money.

That is why markets like weight loss, finances, relationships, and real estate are so competitive and crowded. It’s simple – there’s a lot of money to be made. But the good money is in the small niches and not that massive pot.

So you need to focus in on the money niche much like water going through a funnel. The funnel is very broad on top but considerably smaller on the bottom. That’s where you’ll find the better niche.

Selecting Your Piece

The best way to select a small piece of the large pie is to pick a specialty. Select a specialty that interests you because you’ll be in it for some time and select a specialty that fills a gap in the market.

For example, sometime back there was a lot of buzz going around about buying and flipping properties. There was plenty of talk about why you should get into that market but there was little content about determining your initial cash investment and how to put it to work to actually make a profit.

Identifying that gap and marketing to a specific demographic in the real estate markets could have been a very powerful niche to go into.

Think about overweight vegetarians. If nobody’s talking to them specifically, that could be another great market. The secret is to find a gap in a large market where you can have something unique to say that isn’t already being said.

Just be sure that it’s a gap that has a real long-lasting demand. Use your instincts, your knowledge, and your research of the market to find a gap. Then go to work to make it your small piece of the big niche.

In other words, you want to be known as the “vegetarian weight-loss guy/gal” and become the go-to person for people who want to know more about the topic. Word about your specialty will spread throughout the niche and soon people will begin to seek you out of their own accord.

How to Get Your Niche Moving

Once you’ve funneled down your specialty it’s time to create your message and get the word out. In the most basic form, get started with keyword research, start by picking a few choice keywords and keyword phrases. Then pinpoint your competition to identify what they are missing because that is part of the gap you will fill.

Grab a domain name, create your website, and get to work creating world-class content on your subject and on the concerns of your audience. Be consistent about uploading new content. Whether you choose twice a week or four times a week, whatever it is – be consistent.

Generate some of your articles deliberately written to target keyword ranking and others simply for the quality of the content. This makes your content more enjoyable and your site friendlier. You may choose to do a bit of guest blogging on reputable sites in your niche to help attract traffic back to your niche site.

Just remember that focusing on a small piece of a large niche takes time, but the profit potential makes it all worth it. Find an aspect of a large and profitable market that’s under represented, and become the go-to person for that piece of the pie.

Are you in a small focused piece of your niche? Leave a comment, let us know what strategy you’re focusing on.

About the Author

marilynthompsonMy name is Marilyn Thompson and I’m a blogger, motivator, and happy to help you realize your online business dreams at marilynthompsonsolutions.com. Success awaits! Follow me on Twitter and connect with me on Facebook.

Did You Enjoy This Post?

No spam. Powered by MailChimp.

14 Responses to 'Focus on a Small Piece of a Big Niche'

1. spookmoor says:

I’m just trying to tell some stories about my life. Just had a message from someone saying they are long winded and boring, yet others, love them. So what now?

• Marilyn Thompson says:

Don’t dwell on the naysayers out there, you can’t please everyone. Maybe though consider making 2 or 3 posts on one topic instead on 1 long post.
      Thanks for visiting!

• Lisha says:

I agree with Marylin, there’s no way you’re going to please 100% of the people! In reading your posts, I think you are a brilliant writer, even when just telling stories about your life. It makes me want to keep reading. I wouldn’t worry about the feeble-minded 1% who think your storytelling is boring. Pay no attention to them. Plus, that’s so rude of them! Keep on keeping on. And on another note, should you choose to write shorter posts, I agree with Marylin that you can still tell the full story just the way you like, and just publish it into parts. You can even write it all out in one sitting if that’s the way you like to do it, then just split it into 2 or 3 equal parts or something like that, post each part into a new post, write “to be continued” at the bottom of each one that is not the end, then schedule them to be published when you like. Your titles can be Your Title [PART ONE], Your Title [PART TWO], Your Title [PART THREE]. But either way, you should probably just do what you want to do. It’s your blog. But this is a good idea if you want to cater a tad more to the people who like to read shorter posts, and also at the same time, build a little suspense even with your readers who are fine with longer posts.

2. Finding a niche is not always hard however the hard part is determining whether it is as profitable as you think. It is important to do a lot of research before settling. Good article.

• Lisha says:

So true :) I personally think you can make any niche profitable depending on the angle you take and what you do with it. But there are obviously some niches that are automatically easier to make an income from. If you’re planning something for the long term, you still should pick something that interests you, otherwise you’ll be starting a “business” and then won’t follow through for the long term, and that is the biggest mistake I see so many bloggers make. Not sticking with it…

3. It’s hard finding that small niche, especially if you’re like me and have a wide variety of interests even in one niche.

• Lisha says:

I’m the same way! I know it’s good to narrow down, but I end up just talking about whatever is interesting that is relatively related! However, when you decide to giveaway products for an optin, or start selling products, I’d say at that point is when you definitely want to narrow your focus.

4. Jen says:

I am a lifestyle blogger without a specific niche, but this article is very inspiring. I recently started living a vegan lifestyle and I really want to prove that you can be a vegan and still eat tasty food. THAT could be a pretty specific niche if I ever get the time/energy to start another blog. I would LOVE to make money blogging. Thank you for your great advice.

5. Bonnie Gean says:

A niche has different veins in it. Which one you choose could mean the difference between mediocre success and financial security.

I never discount the entire niche… but it’s true you need to take smaller bites through the marketing pie. That doesn’t mean you need to settle for 10 DIFFERENT niche sites.

It means you slice the niche and work on one piece at a time. When you’re making money in that area, move onto the next slice (but you can still remain in the same niche!)

6. Misty Spears says:

This is wonderful advice. I have a niche right now that I am very excited about and I feel it’s fairly specific and very product based. I could have gone much more broad with it, but I don’t think it would have the appeal it does and I really doubt I would have become known so quickly for it if I was just trying to be an authority over everything on the subject. The cool thing is, you can still target that broad niche for traffic by writing articles for those keywords to pull them in, secondary to your main topic.

7. Anand says:

This is the blue print for my blog.

1. Before even thinking of creating a blog I got hold of a topic that interested me.

2. I then jotted down 75 things about it. I added 3 sub points to each and wrote about them.
    Result : approx. 550 – 600 word post. Breakdown :
    Intro – 100 words. 3 sub points/120 words each = 360 words. wrap up – 100 words.

3. After covering 30 posts I began to create my blog in May, 2014. Not fully there yet, but, one step at a time.

4. Now, I focus on simply uploading content. Every day I upload 1 post.

5. Currently post 10 published.

And, oh yes, you have to love one thing that comes with its ups and downs : writing. No amount of fancy cover pages, seo, trying to game google etc will ever substitute your writing. So, embrace it, adopt it, love it. At the end of the day it’s the only thing that will matter. Good luck!

• Lisha says:

Wow Anand, that is super awesome! You are so disciplined and detail oriented. I like how you got everything ready ahead of time, including having 30 written posts before even publishing any of them, to make sure you were off to a great start! Now you can just promote promote promote since you won’t have to do any writing for awhile :)

Also, remember that you can schedule your posts ahead of time, so when you write something, you don’t have to save it in a word doc or anything like that, you can schedule it right then and there to be published when you want it to be. That way you can be really consistent with when and how often you post, etc.

Member Login | Blog | Services | Advertise Here | Terms | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Disclosure | Contact